.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sunday Concert - Songs of Nature and the Sea


The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald


To relax after all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season I turned to Gordon Lightfoot, my favorite strolling troubadour and master poet.

Over the years Gord has successfully taken on in song the wonders of the great outdoors as well as ships on the high seas.  Music like this takes you a special place where you recharge your mental batteries.

As Gord said in another song:  "Listen to the pictures flow.  Across the room into your mind they go."

Enjoy.


Whispers of the North
Whispers of the wind
I will feel it sting
I will see it rise and fall
I will hear it sing
The sound is like a song to me
It takes away the pain
The river is the melody
And sky is the refrain


The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed
In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral
The church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine times
For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald



Pussywillows Cat-tails
Harsh nights and candlelights wood fires a-blazin'
Soft lips and fingertips resting in my soul
Treasuring remembering the promise of spring
Pussywillows cat-tails soft winds and roses






Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle
Deep within the Yarmouth Castle
The fire begins to glow
It leaps into the hallways 
And climbs and twists and grows

And the paint she wore to keep her young
Oh Lord, how well it burns
And soon that old fire is a-ragin'



Restless
There's a kind of a restless feeling and it pulls me from within
It sets my senses reeling and my wheels begin to spin
In the quietude of winter you can hear the wild geese cry
And I will always love that sound until the day I die 




The Ghosts of Cape Horn
Come all of you rustic old sea dogs
Who follow the bright Southern Cross
You were rounding the Horn
In the eye of a storm
When you lost her one day
And you read all your letters
From oceans away
Then you took them to the bottom of the sea 




The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Gordon Lightfoot (left) and Bob Dylan about 1974.
.
“I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Everytime I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever. " - Bob Dylan

No comments: